The most common form of hybrid ceramic bearings is angular contact ball bearings equipped with silicon nitride balls. Angular contact ball bearings can effectively run at high speeds when both radial and axial loads are present. However, its axial load can only be applied from one direction, so angular contact ball bearings must be installed and preloaded to ensure the correct contact angle.
Hybrid ceramic bearings have the following advantages over all-steel bearings:
1. Strong design flexibility, because the properties of the silicon nitride material allow the bearing designer to change different parameters without having to consider the impact.
2. Rigidity is increased because the elastic modulus of silicon nitride is 50% larger than that of bearing steel.
3. The running speed is increased, because the density of silicon nitride balls means that the centrifugal force is reduced.
4. Reduced heat generation, because silicon nitride balls have small friction coefficient and good sports performance.
5. Thermal stability is better, because the thermal expansion coefficient of silicon nitride is one third of that of steel.